Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Soft as a baby's.... lips??

So everyone has heard (and probably used) the phrase "soft as a baby's bottom." I'm not sure how often we say, "soft as a baby's lips"; but I imagine baby lips are probably pretty soft! That's the plan behind Maybelline's recently released Baby Lips Moisturizing Lip Balm, which touts accomplishments such as "82% visibly less dry, 94% less rough lips, 77% more supple, and 77% better looking lips." Who wouldn't want to enjoy all those things??

Now, let's back up just for a moment for a little background on the lip issue. Lip gloss has been a part of my life for as far back as I can remember. My first glosses were Bonne Bell Lip Smackers in orange and watermelon--and maybe 'cause it was my first, but to this day, some 20+ years later, Lip Smackers are still my go to choice of a basic lip gloss. I claim that my lip gloss "addiction" started around 8th grade... it was again Bonne Bell, but it was a little jar of "Watermelon Falls." That went with me everywhere! I was using lipgloss first thing in the morning, throughout the day, and of course right before I went to bed. I had the softest, smoothest, most kissable lips around! When I was sixteen or so, my mom found this article in the newspaper that talked about lip gloss addiction. OMG! That is what I had! The article said it was all "psychological," but I knew better. I knew the burning sensation I had if I went too long without reapplying. I knew how fidgety I got if my lips felt dry. I'd never smoked, but I figured this is what it felt like to try to quit smoking. There was no quitting this addiction, I was hooked.

I've been through a variety of brands and flavors and at one point even had a "lip gloss inventory" which I documented every tube I had, how full it was, when I got it, and rated it on a 5 star system. (lip gloss dork alert!) 

The point is, I'm kind of a (self proclaimed) lip product connoisseur, and when I saw the advertisement in the November 2011 issue of Cosmo, I knew I was going to have to try "Baby Lips."

It comes in six different "flavors" and I chose "Pink Punch" which is a pretty, light hot pink color. It comes in a pink tube with yellow letters. All the packaging is really catchy which makes the product fun and girly! At Wal-mart, it's $2.97 so even if it were horrible, I wasn't going to be out a whole chunk of money. Reading all the claims, I was pretty impressed to start. However, my lips were already "less dry" and "less rough" to begin with, so I wasn't really sure what results I could expect from it. The smell and flavor is sweet and just like a tropical punch. It goes on smooth and is not too thick or heavy. It does have a hint of color, which I haven't decided if I like or not. As a balm, it is not shiny or glossy but does feel very nourishing. The 20 SPF sunscreen is a nice touch!

Since the claims are all based on a "clinical study after four weeks of use," I've decided to do my own "not-so-clinical study of four weeks of use" and document the status of my lips.  Today is day 3. I'm expecting at the end of these four weeks, I'll have lips much more supple--like those of Angelina Jolie. Will keep you posted and give a complete review of the product at the end:)



4 comments:

  1. I saw those at Wal-Mart and almost grabbed one or five. I'm curious to see how they work out. Keep me posted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi d! So far, I'm still enjoying it. I'm thinking about picking up another one (non tinted this time). There is a coupon to save $1! (like them on FB and you can print the coupon)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo, I will be interested to see the 30 day post. Good to know they have non-tinted. I am a plain jane in the lip color department.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm interested to see how I feel at the end of my "study" as well... I go back and forth from really loving it to being not quite sure if I like it at all... lol. Also, I'm not using it exclusively (I have so many other lip products); so I'm not sure if that will sway the results or not...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...