Sunday, April 15, 2012

Kristen's Kontroversial Kaviar Nails ... lol

Hey Lovelies! So have you heard about the latest drama going around the beauty-blogosphere these days? Caviar Nails. Oh yes, I just typed those words.
via Pinterest
For those of you not familiar with the issue, let me try to provide you with the long-story-short-Kristen-version of what's going on. You may have seen this picture (or one similar) floating around Pinterest and other websites. That's where I first saw it; it reminded me of Snowcap candies or those little chocolates with all the round rainbow sprinkles on them. I honestly wasn't a fan and figured it was just another passing nail art trend. But that was before I knew the story behind the story.
via
You see, these nails first hit the streets back in 2011. Since then, the company Ciate has been developing a kit to sell for everyone to achieve this "caviar manicure" for the all inclusive price of $25! But wait, there's more!!

Since this kit isn't actually for sale yet, nail girls and beauty bloggers world wide have been re-creating the look using polishes they already have and little beads bought at craft stores! No big deal, right? Who hasn't seen a picture in a magazine or a commercial or on Pinterest and thought, "omg, I could totally do that!"

"Caviar Nails" and "Caviar Manis" started popping up left and right (you know how these trendy, fad things spread!) Until [insert looming music here] Ciate sent out "Cease and Desist" letters to a number of girls saying they couldn't use that name, it was theirs! (for the record, as of the date I am typing this, the term has not officially been trademarked yet.)

So, how do you think this was received it Beauty Blogger land? I think it would be an understatement to say that their plan backfired. You see, not only did the bloggers *not* stop using the terms, but they went on to tell all their readers/fans/friends/followers/etc just what happened. Which in turn, spawned girls everywhere to start doing their own "caviar nails." (and talk badly about Ciate's PR).

Now, some people (i.e. celebrities) would tell you that even negative publicity is still publicity. And sure, that's true; Ciate definitely got their name out there. But I'm not sure it's in the way they would have liked.

Posts I've been reading make it seem like a lot of girls will in fact not be buying their product but continuing to do the design on their own---for cheaper.

Do you think the person that invented the "French Manicure" is still pissy that everyone is calling their "white tipped nail designs" by his/her trademarked name?

Aren't we always trying to find other (cheaper, easier) ways to do the fun/cool/latest trend?

Couldn't they have handled this a little differently?

Anyway, I was not going to pass up this bandwagon. I purchased 12 micro glass beads from Michael's and created my first ever Kaviar Mani. (see what I did there? I changed a letter and have now made it my own personal mani without offending any almost-trademarked-label from any company out there;)

Two coats Sinful Color Cinderella ($1.99), one coat Sinful Color Glass Pink ($1.99), and sprinkled micro beads ($1.41)* on the accent finger. Voila!

I had tried doing all my nails, but it just reminded me of floam... (lol do you remember that stuff??) [omg! maybe I will trademark these as FLOAM nails!!:)]
via

Now, this is actually a pretty impractical mani. With all my typing, there is no way the beads will last that long; but it's definitely something fun; it gives your nails a little extra pizzazz! And there are probably some special occasions where it would be the perfect accessory;)

Have you done "caviar nails"? How do you feel about the situation?

*since there were 12 bottles and the whole thing was $16.99 I tried to determine how much one bottle of beads would be. This makes my overall cost $5.39; almost 22% of what Ciate wants you to pay!)

P.S. those rainbow covered chocolates are called "nonpareil candy" so even if you called your mani that, I think you'd be safe;)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...