Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Review: Fake Bake Flawless Self-Tanning Liquid

Let's take a moment to discuss my relationship with the sun. When I was a child, I played many hours outside and always had a healthy, youthful tan. As I got older and I was working after school and weekends, I had less time to be outside and work on the color of my skin.
via

"Self-tanners" were becoming popular. A lotion you could put on and change the color of your skin. This was the late 90's and they weren't very good. The first one I ever bought was a generic kind from Rite Aid. It definitely changed my skin, but it was a burnt sienna kind of shade--not quite orange, not quite brown. And it smelled HORRIBLE. *sigh* 

Lots of girls in high school went to the tanning bed.Ah, the tanning bed. The device that envelopes you inside like a toaster oven, roasting you in a relaxing (and often sweaty) situation. I got sucked in. I was 18 and was going only to gain a "base tan" so that when summer came, I wouldn't burn, it would just add to the beautiful glowy color I had achieved. That's how it started.
via

But it was wonderful. The tanning place was near work so I'd just run over there for 20 minutes after work and unwind from the day. I learned to love the tanning bed. It helped me achieve a beautiful color with so little work. And I wasn't spending a whole lot of time in the *real* sun, so clearly skin cancer was no longer a problem.

Au contraire, my dear friends, tanning beds are pretty much the worst thing you can do for your skin. So dangerous. UVA, UVB, all the bad parts of sunshine. It is horrible for you.

So, I went back to trying "tanning from a bottle" what I called the number of different lotions/sprays/etc. I tried to achieve a pretty tan the healthy way.

And then, I found Fake Bake Flawless. I actually found it thanks to some of you! I'd been reading about it on some blogs/hearing about it on YouTube and I decided I had nothing to lose but try it.
via

I picked it up from Ulta for about $25. It comes with the spray bottle, latex gloves, and a mitt. It's very simple to use: put on gloves, put on mitt, spray mitt, rub in circles on your skin. It has a guide color so you can see exactly where you're putting it. Remember that point as I go on with the story;)

I was so excited the first night I used it! It dries quickly (no wandering around naked waiting for it to dry before you can get in your sheets). It smelled fruity and tropical! And as soon as I put it on, I felt like I already looked darker!

I woke up in the middle of the night and I'm pretty sure I could smell the "tanning" smell. I believe the pretty tropical smell wears off as the chemicals are working into the skin. When I got up I looked golden bronze-y! It was like a miracle product!

Then I dripped some water on my arm and the tan washed off. Oh Em Gee, I thought. The tan is just washing away, wtf?? I figured out later that was the guide color washing off! Hint: use the Fake Bake at night, sleep with your tan seeping into your skin, and shower in the morning to wash off the guide color.

People noticed right away! My first day at work with my new tan (after the first night of use) , people were saying things like, "Kristen! You were out in the sun this weekend!" or "Kristen, did you go to the beach?" They had no idea it was fake (until I told them, of course. I explained I was reviewing a new product for my blog;)

About 5-7 days of use and you can achieve the full color that you want. You can probably do it faster if you put more on during each application. I probably put mine on a little lighter than the average person, 'cause I'm very fair and didn't want it to seem too drastic.After you get it where you want it, you can apply once or twice a week to keep it up. I've been using it for a week now, and there is still a lot left in my bottle.

Can you use it on your face? I didn't at first 'cause I was nervous about it, but as the week went on, whatever excess I had on from doing the rest of my body left on the mitt, I'd just rub over my face. It actually all looked pretty natural!

Overall, I am extremely happy with this product. It is probably the best tan from a bottle I've ever gotten. It gives me a natural looking tan without all the dangers of the sun and tanning beds:)

Have you tried this yet? Do you have any favorite fake tanning products??:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...