Tuesday, April 24, 2012

April Birchbox First Impressions

Hey Lovelies! A few disclaimers up front: as I write this post, I have not tried ANYTHING yet in my Birchbox. Also, this month was just kind of eh for me. I'm okay with what I got in my box, but I sometimes hate seeing what other people got 'cause I see stuff I think I'd like more lol. But alas, I am still grateful for what I have.

At the end of this post, I am going to say a few words about Birchbox that I'm sure you'll want to hear (well, read;)

So! Here is what my box has!
Befine Skincare Sampler
Revive dull skin with this gentle cleanser and moisturizer duo. both use rice extrats to restore skin's natural barrier (Full size $24 each)

dirt. luxe salt scrub in lemon leaf
Battling rough patches? Show 'em who's boss. This all-over body scrub uses she butter, lemon oil, and raspberry seeds to moisturize as it exfoliates (Full size $45)

Orofluido Beauty Elixer
We don't know what we love more--this hair treatment's trio of nourishing essential oils (argan, linseed, and cyperus)--or its intoxicating vanilla amber scent. (Full size $29.99)

Vapour Organic Beauty Elixir Lipgloss
This sheer tinted gloss is infused with yummy botanicals like lemon balm and green tea. You'll love the pretty hue and non-sticky feel. (Full size $20)

Le Palais des Thes Tea Bags
Little known fact: the French take teatime just as seriously as their coffee breaks--as evidenced by these sophisticated Parisian green tea blends (20 pack $12.50)
So overall a decent box:) I'm really excited to try the tea and the Orofluido beauty elixir! Look for full reviews in the future:)

Now, here's the interesting thing that happened this month with Birchbox. The day I got it in the mail, I saw a note on Twitter that the Befine moisturizer samples were expired! (this was note a note from Birchbox, this was something that someone else had retweeted.) I pulled out my box and checked and sure enough! It said "EXP 2010/02" :( Birchbox sent me expired product! I got in a discussion on Twitter with some other girls about this issue. It seemed that all of us got expired product though the dates differed. I probably never would've even thought to look at the date! I know some beauty products have dates on it, but do they really go "bad" or do they just lose some of their effectiveness?

Thankfully, the story does not end there!;) Birchbox Customer Service sent me a note yesterday that said:

Dear Birchbox Customer,

It has come to our attention that a small number of the Befine Daily Moisturizer with SPF 15 samples included in our April boxes may have passed their expiration dates. Please check the stamp on the outside of your packet of Befine Daily Moisturizer with SPF 15. If your sample has expired, we advise you not to use the product, as the SPF is not guaranteed to be effective after the stated expiration date.

If you received an expired sample of the moisturizer, we would like to deposit 100 Birchbox Points in your account. Please complete this survey by April 27 to request the points award; your account will be updated by May 1.


We take pride in sending you high-quality products from great brands, typically their newest and best selling products. This situation is unacceptable and not representative of the Birchbox standard for product quality. We are working with Befine to determine the root cause of the error, and we deeply apologize for this experience.

All the best,
Hayley and Katia

I thought this was an AWESOME way to handle the situation! I appreciated that they acknowledged the problem; accepted responsibility; and are doing something to make things right! Well done, Birchbox!

This could have gone any number of ways. And honestly, after not hearing anything about it again for a few days, I was worried they were going to just sweep it under the carpet and like oh well, whatever. I was very excited to get that email and very impressed with how the whole thing was handled!

For those of you who don't know how Birchbox points work, for every 100 points, you get $10 of credit to use in their store. So basically, they're giving everyone $10 to spend which is almost like refunding the entire month's box! I think this is over and above what was even necessary for a few expired moisturizer products. THANK YOU BIRCHBOX!:)

What did you get in your box this month? Did you have expired product? How do you feel about how they handled it?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...